Easter IslandRenewable energy concept
The aim of the project is to define a concept to provide 100% renewable energy on Easter Island. Various solutions have been combined such as
- Photovoltaics + short term storage (batteries) ;
- Pyrolysis based on plastic wastes ;
- Small wind farms, regarding landscape preservation ;
- Fuel cell and plastic to hydrogen (long term storage).
Name of associated Consultants :
Swiss Hydrogen AG
Link to the reference sheet (right click and open)
- Maître de l'ouvrage Race for Water foundation
- Lieu Easter Island
- Année de réalisation Janvier 2018 à mai 2018
Description of actual services provided by your staff within the assignment :
- Defining means and targets ;
- Comparative energy mix study and sizing ;
- Pro/cons of solutions ;
- Identification of the most economical solutions ;
- Communication and meetings.
A scientific paper has also been written based on the modelling and simulation results of this study. This publication highlights the benefits of a diversified energy mix and aims to share this finding with the scientific community.